Manhunt Continues for Suspected Murderer as LBPD, LASD, & Prosecutors Point Fingers at Each Other
Suspected murderer Steven Manzo remains at large after he was inadvertently released from Los Angeles County Sheriffs' custody Tuesday afternoon, all the while the Long Beach Police Department, the LA County Sheriffs, and prosecutors continue to blame each other for the mishap.
Steven Manzo, a 24-year-old Hawaiian Gardens resident, was arrested last year for the 2018 murder of Salvador Corrales. Manzo was scheduled to be in the Long Beach courthouse for a preliminary hearing but was erroneously released Tuesday afternoon. He left the Century Regional Detention Center in Lynwood and then ran across the 101 Freeway while wearing jail clothes, causing a temporary closure of the freeway for about 30 minutes.
What they're saying:
The LBPD told the AP, "we can certainly confirm the error was not on our end," and referred questions to the district attorney's office.
The LA County Sheriff's Department, which manages the county jails and is responsible for inmate's transportation, told NBC LA to direct their questions about Manzo's release to the Long Beach Police Department.
LASD would later say to the AP that the sheriff's department didn't "erroneously" release Manzo because they received a "order for release" from the court, meaning the case was dismissed.
NBC LA reported that LA County jail records show an entry at 2:12 p.m. dismissed a murder case against Manzo.